Thursday, March 15, 2007

SLEEP MEDICATION WARNINGS

SLEEP MEDICATION WARNINGS

On March 14, 2007, the Food and Drug Administration issued a special release warning consumers and physicians about safety risks of many prescription sleep medications. The warnings involve potential allergic reactions as well as activities of daily living where adverse events have been reported such as sleep driving, making telephone calls and preparing food with use of a stove, oven and sharp instruments including food processors, blenders and knives. The combination of these types of complex activities may result in serious personal injuries or death from motor vehicle crashes and trauma in the kitchen and elsewhere. The sleep inducing medications include:

Ambien/Ambien CR (Sanofi Aventis)Butisol Sodium (Medpointe Pharm HLC)Carbrital (Parke-Davis)Dalmane (Valeant Pharm)Doral (Questcor Pharms) Halcion (Pharmacia & Upjohn)Lunesta (Sepracor) Placidyl (Abbott)Prosom (Abbott)Restoril (Tyco Healthcare)Rozerem (Takeda)Seconal (Lilly)Sonata (King Pharmaceuticals)

The FDA is working with drug manufacturers to improve warning labels, alert health care providers and warn consumers.


Stewart M. Casper
Casper & de Toledo LLC
1458 Bedford St.
Stamford, CT 06905
Tel. (203) 325-8600
Fax (203) 323-5970
Board Certified in Civil Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
www.casperdetoledo.com

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, March 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and the Democratic Leaderhip Council is working on natioanlizing med-mal complaints by insituting health courts. Jerks.

 
At 3:53 AM, November 11, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

 
At 12:53 PM, November 01, 2010, Blogger Ramesh said...

My one and only experience with Ambien was horrid. I had heard that others had successfully taken it in order to sleep during a trans-Atlantic flight, and as I was flying to the UK, I asked my doctor to prescribe it for me as well. Thankfully, I had the presence of mind to do a "trial run" prior to the trip, and took one ambien at bedtime about a week prior. I really wasn't sure how quickly the effects would hit me, so I immediately crawled into bed after taking it and started watching tv. 25 minutes later, I felt nothing. 30 minutes later -- BAM! It hit me. Not only double, but TRIPLE vision -- everything I looked at, there appeared to be THREE of. And then I just completely blanked out, although I was apparently still awake, as my husband told me that every other word coming out of my mouth was "f*ing" this, and "f*ing" that ... and that's certainly not the way I ordinarily converse! I have absolutely NO recollection of any of that. I did sleep after my little profanity outburst, but I felt terrible all the next day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home