Thursday, October 05, 2006

NED LAMONT - A LAWYER'S PLEA

You are being contacted on this occasion by me because you are currently represented by this firm, you have been represented in the past by this firm or you have consulted with us concerning some legal matter. In any case, Casper & de Toledo LLC and its lawyers, myself included, are grateful for the faith that you have placed in us. I hope that we have served you well.

For many years I have been critical of the performance of Connecticut's junior U.S. Senator Joseph Lieberman. My reasons have been many. In the early years, I became critical of Mr. Lieberman when he was a state legislator who cultivated the interests of insurance companies and big businesses at the expense of the interests of people. When he was attorney general of Connecticut, he resisted joining many other attorneys general around the country suing property and casualty insurance companies for engaging in illegal price fixing. His conduct was in no small measure prompted by the large campaign contributions that he received from the insurance industry.

In 1993, the Connecticut legislature voted overwhelmingly to repeal a failed automobile no-fault statute that cost consumers dearly and enriched insurance companies. Two years later, Lieberman was ignoring the elected legislative leaders of Connecticut and he was co-sponsoring federal no-fault insurance with right winger Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

Lieberman has voted to deny asbestos victims their due in court. He has sought to restrict claims for victims of defective products. He has sought to restrict class action lawsuits. And he has often sides with insurance companies and HMOs to limit the right of victims of medical malpractice to make a fair recovery fro their injuries.

On top of all of those "law" related reasons that I felt Lieberman was not adequately representing the citizens of Connecticut we can add his stay the course defense of President Bush in Iraq; his advocacy for weakening the War on Terror by effectively running from the battle in Afghanistan; his support for federal intervention in the Terri Schiavo case; his effort to weaken public schools by supporting school vouchers; his support for right wing Judges including Justice Alito; his support of the Bush energy plan that has enriched Exxon-Mobil and other oil companies while the price of gasoline has skyrocketed; his effort to reward his pharmaceutical contributors by sponsoring legislation to extend the patent life on drugs while his wife worked as a pharmaceutical lobbyist. And I could go on.

When I heard about Ned Lamont and his effort to unseat Joe Lieberman, I was intrigued. I asked for a meeting and Mr. Lamont came to meet me at my office. I asked him all sorts of questions and he gave me candid answers. I came away convinced that not only was Ned an bright and honorable man, but also he was fully capable of representing the people of Connecticut in the U.S. Senate. And more. He would, if elected, go to Washington and represent our interests rather than those of the insurance industry, pharmaceutical companies, Halliburton, the HMOs. I found that Ned Lamont cares about the issues that are not only important to me but which are also important to most of my clients.

So having said all of that, I am now urging you to support Ned Lamont for U.S. Senate (assuming you're a registered voter in Connecticut). If you can support him with a campaign contribution that's great. But more importantly, please support him with your vote and tell your friends. Tell them he's no crazy liberal but rather a conscientious citizen who recognizes the folly of Iraq; that Iraq has made us all less safe. That Joe Lieberman and George Bush and Dick Chaney have advanced policies that are militarily inept; fiscally unsound and morally bankrupt.

Thanks for reading.

Stewart M. Casper, Esq.
Casper & de Toledo LLC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home